This weekend was a big weekend for me and Maurice as we moved into step two of creating our dog puppet for The Blind. As I said last post, because I was trying to keep his head pretty lightweight, I used paper mache to create the even surface for his face, which will make step three so much easier.
I started by inserting the rod that is going to control his head. The rod I acquired is too long for the puppeteer, but I am going to wait to trim. This is primarily because I wanted to use it as a way to prop up Maurice as he dries. You can see my fancy setup in the pictures above.
You'll notice that as I was laying the strips of newspaper, I wasn't too fussed about clearing air bubbles of removing excess paste from the base. I know most of is will dry off and because I am covering the head in a different material in step 3, the extra bumps don't matter. The main focus was just to create a solid base to continue building off of.
After I finished, I stuck Maurice in a flower pot on my porch to dry and I began setting up for the next step, which you will learn all about in the next blog. The most exciting thing is that his nose and eyes I ordered finally arrived....and they are the wrong size. I can make the eyes work, but the nose is proving to be a bigger issue. There, I am back to the drawing board!
Until next time,